Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Book Review: Wonder, by R.J. Palacio





Genre: Children's Contemporary Fiction
Date Published: February 2012
Publisher: Knopf
# Of Pages/Listening Time: 316 pgs/8 hours

Goodreads | Audible

Synopsis: I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.
August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.


My Rating:
 ★
.....For being a sweet, wonderful story



My Thoughts:
Third time reading this and I still love it.

I know there are parts of this story that would be considered a bit of a stretch (such as the ending), but it is, after all, a children's book. It was written for 10-year-olds, and 10-year-olds would get a whole lot out of this story for sure.

This book is very well-written (once again, especially considering the target audience), and I feel the characters are very well-developed. Both of these qualities are what I think makes this book great. This story would have failed if you couldn't relate to any of the characters easily, or at least recognize them in people you went to school with. It would have also failed if R.J. Palacio didn't sell these characters properly with her writing.

This book is a very quick read for grown-ups. Every time I've read this story, it's only taken me two days to finish it. I would have done it again this time around if I had an extra hour.

Overall, I love this book. It's definitely a favorite that I'm looking forward to introducing to my son when he's old enough to read this story (funnily enough, one of the protagonist's name is also Jack, who also has parents who are a teacher and social worker. Cool beans!) For grown-ups, this makes for a good, quick read that you can easily finish while on vacation. For kids, this is a great book that will help them understand the meaning of being "kinder than necessary". Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment