Monday, November 24, 2014

Book Review: The Battle Of The Labyrinth (Percy Jackson And The Olympians), by Rick Riordan

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Battle Of The Labyrinth (Percy Jackson And The Olympians #4), by Rick Riordan
★★★

Synopsis: Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.
In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.
In A Sentence: A decent read, but I’m not feeling very wowed by this series (not yet anyway)

My Thoughts: At this point I admit I’m starting to just power through the series. It’s a fun series that kids and young adults would really enjoy, but as an adult I don’t feel as wowed as I could be. The chapter titles still pull a chuckle out of me, and there are sentences peppered throughout the story that are also pretty funny (case in point: “You hit the Lord of the Titans in the eye with a blue plastic hairbrush”). Ridiculous scenarios seem to be the main trademark of these books, which is always fun, but beyond that, the story doesn’t hold a whole lot of depth. It’s your typical action novels: lots of energy and a fast-paced plot, but very little depth and complexity.
Would I recommend this read? Of course! It’s easy-going fun that doesn’t require too much concentration. It’s ridiculously funny in parts, and the incorporation of Greek Mythology into today’s world is loads of fun to read about. Plus, it’s a fast read, perfect for your next vacation. I’m starting the final book now and I’m looking forward to seeing how it ends. Happy reading!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment