Monday, December 8, 2014

Book Review: Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1), by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone (Harry Potter #1), by J.K. Rowling
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He’s never worn a cloak of invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry’s room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn’t had a birthday party in eleven years.
But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he dreamed existed. There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that’s been waiting for him…if Harry can survive the encounter.
In A Sentence: A huge favorite of mine!

My Thoughts: I first read this book back in 1999 when I was 11 years old. I’m 26 now and I must have read this book over two dozen times. This is the story that has shaped my childhood and influenced my reading choices. It is the story that taught me that magic is real and that even children can do amazing things.
It’s hard to put into words why I love this story so much. When I first read it, it seemed to be something that was so new and different from your other fantasy novels. It was unique, a one-of-a-kind story. There was something that felt so real about it too, maybe it’s because J.K. Rowling was just as successful at world-building as J.R.R. Tolkien was (I just read The Hobbit too). Or maybe it’s because even someone from a Muggle family could be a witch or wizard, which gave us something to connect with.
I think what also worked so well about this story was that it was not just about Harry struggles, it’s about his friends as well, and showing that true friendship has a magic of its own. There’s just so much about this story that resonates within our past childhoods and our current inner child, it’s a small wonder that there are so many Potter fans out there.
I love it when I see people reading this series and enjoying it as much as I do. I would strongly recommend reading this novel, no matter who you are. Sure it’s a children’s novel, but that doesn’t mean it should be left out of your TBR. Enjoy the magic!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment