Monday, June 26, 2017

Book Review: The Gunslinger (Dark Tower #1), by Stephen King



Genre: Sci-fi Horror?
Date Published: June 1982 (revised edition published June 2003)
Publisher: NAL
# Of Pages 340 pages

Goodreads

Synopsis: In The Gunslinger (originally published in 1982), King introduces his most enigmatic hero, Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting, solitary figure at first, on a mysterious quest through a desolate world that eerily mirrors our own. Pursuing the man in black, an evil being who can bring the dead back to life, Roland is a good man who seems to leave nothing but death in his wake.


My Rating:
 ★
.....For being thoroughly confusing


My Thoughts:

Ummmm......huh. It's hard to say what I think about this book. I'm more confused than anything else.

The book is short, which is a new experience for me when it comes to reading a King novel, and I think I would have preferred some length. However, I do know this is part of a series, so I'm hoping that the subsequent novels will answer my (many) questions.

I also don't like the main character, Roland, aka the gunslinger. He's too stubborn and determined for me to like him, especially with how he handled the situation with the boy Jake.

And I'm confused about the man in black. He's a villain, but he gives advice? That entire last chapter was odd and threw me through a loop. Once again, I'm hoping for more answers in the next few novels.

Overall, when it comes to me and Stephen King books, it's either a hit or a miss. This time around, I think it's more of a miss. (If you're wondering which books were hits for me, they were Bag Of Bones, The Shining, and Needful Things) I will read the rest of the series (because I can't leave it open-ended like this), and I'm hoping it'll get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment