Sunday, June 10, 2018

Book Review: Crocodile On The Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1), by Elizabeth Peters



Genre: Historical/Romantic Mystery
Date Published: 1975
Publisher: Dodd, Mead, and Company (this edition by Grand Central Publishing)
# Of Pages/Listening Time: 262 pgs/ 10 hours

Goodreads | Audible

Synopsis: Amelia Peabody, that indomitable product of the Victorian age, embarks on her debut Egyptian adventure armed with unshakable self-confidence, a journal to record her thoughts, and, of course, a sturdy umbrella. On her way to Cairo, Amelia rescues young Evelyn Barton-Forbes, who has been abandoned by her scoundrel lover. Together the two women sail up the Nile to an archaeological site run by the Emerson brothers--the irascible but dashing Radcliffe and the amiable Walter. Soon their little party is increased by one--one mummy, that is, and a singularly lively example of the species. Strange visitations, suspicious accidents, and a botched kidnapping convince Amelia that there is a plot afoot to harm Evelyn. Now Amelia finds herself up against an unknown enemy--and perilous forces that threaten to make her first Egyptian trip also her last...


My Rating:
 ★
.....For continuing to entertain me!



My Thoughts:

I first read this when I was a young teenager, back when mystery was my favorite genre, and I was developing a budding interest in Ancient Egypt. Needless to say I loved this novel back then, and from time to time I pick the book up again and read it again for fun. This book, once again, didn't disappoint me in my desire for something light, fun, and interesting. I find I can relate to Amelia's strong will and independence, her love of Ancient Egypt, and her sense of humor. Occasionally, I also find myself relating to Evelyn as well, although she is rather prone to fainting fits.

This book is so much fun. It's full of what my mom likes to call "British humor". The little quips, and Amelia's ability to see the ridiculousness of a melodramatic situation is what makes this an enjoyable read. And while the mystery aspect isn't quite as developed as an Agatha Christie novel, the humor and the historical setting of this book more than makes up for it (at least for me it does). I think it was because of this book series that I fell in love with Ancient Egypt. Thanks to this series, I always visit the Egyptian exhibit of a museum first, I've listened to Bob Brier's audio-lecture "A History Of Ancient Egypt" a total of 3 times, and I have even attempted to learn how to read hieroglyphs.

If you like adventure/mystery novels with a strong female character, I would definitely recommend this book, especially the audiobook narrated by Susan O'Malley. It's a fast 285 pages, and it's both fun and interesting, providing you enjoy cozy, romantic, historical mysteries. Highly recommended from a biased lover of Egyptian antiquity.

No comments:

Post a Comment