Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Curse Of The Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody #2), by Elizabeth Peters





Genre: Historical Mystery
Date Published: 1981
Publisher: Dodd, Mead, and Company
# Of Pages/Listening Time: 285 pgs (my edition)/10 hours

Goodreads | Audible

Synopsis: Victorian gentlewoman Amelia Peabody Emerson does not relish the joys of home and hearth. For while she and her husband, the renowned archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson, dutifully go about raising their young son, Ramses, Amelia dreams only of the dust and detritus of ancient civilizations. Providentially, a damsel in distress--coupled with a promising archeological site--demands their immediate presence in Egypt. The damsel is Lady Baskerville, and the site is a tomb in Luxor recently discovered by Sir Henry Baskerville, who promptly died under bizarre circumstances. Amelia and Radcliffe arrive to find the camp in disarray, terrified workers, an eccentric group of guests...and a persistent rumor of a ghost on the grounds. Now the indomitable Amelia must battle evil forces determined to stand between her and her beloved antiquities--and make her foray into the truth a most deadly affair...


My Rating:
 ★
.....For being an excellent and even comical reread!



My Thoughts:
Due to a lack of availability of audiobooks I intended to read, I've reverted back to some old favorites of mine. I first read this back when I was in middle school (I think), and I loved it! I still love it, in fact. This book combines mystery, adventure, history, and even a little romance in a dashing and humorous way. You can't help but fall in love with Radcliffe Emerson and his antics, as well as with Amelia with her British eccentricities. They make such an odd and hilarious couple that you want to keep reading about them over and over again. I thought the detective/mystery aspect of the novel was more developed than it's predecessor. Plus, Emerson and Amelia working as team is more fun to read about than their antagonistic courtship. In addition, you get a introduction to their son Ramses, whose antics are so much fun to read about.

Overall, this series is very enjoyable, and it gets better with each book you read. I think the series starts to deteriorate towards the end, but the first 7 books or so are worth the praise. I will definitely keep going with this series on audiobook.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh...this sounds like a cool series. I need to add this one to the list!

    ReplyDelete