Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Book Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy #1), by N.K. Jemisin





Genre: Fantasy
Date Published: February 2010
Publisher: Hatchet Book Group Orbit
# Of Pages: 427 pgs/

Goodreads

Synopsis: Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.


My Rating:
 ★★ 1/2
.....For being unique



My Thoughts:

Ok, this is one of those reads where I think I came in with higher expectations than I should have. Because of that, I had trouble getting into the story and enjoying it to its fullest potential.

With that being said, I did enjoy this book. It was different from other fantasy reads. Some of the fantasy fundamentals were there, but N.K. Jemisin did different things with the writing, and the overall feel of the story was more mythological than fantastical. What I mean is, you know how Greek mythology stories contain certain elements that make them recognizable as Greek mythology stories? Well, Jemisin created a fantasy world with it's own unique mythology and told a story that felt reminiscent of a mythological tale.

This is a book I want to read again in the future. I have a hunch I'll enjoy it more at a later point. As for the other books in this trilogy, I'll read them eventually. Maybe not during what's left of this year, but eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment