Sunday, October 19, 2014

Book Review: Sea Of Monsters, by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson And The Olympians #2), by Rick Riordan
★★★ and ½ (rounding up to 4)

Synopsis: Percy Jackson's seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy's friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.
In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor and very rewarding or simply a cruel joke.
In A Sentence: Another fun read. This series is starting to grow on me

My Thoughts: So I learned my lesson with the first book to never judge a book by its movie. I’m glad I didn’t watch the movie for this one, because after I finished this novel I looked at an extended preview of the movie and it looks terrible. The actor who plays Tyson doesn’t look or act anything like the Tyson I pictured in my head (I pictured Tyson to look like a teenage version of Michael Clarke Duncan from The Green Mile--I couldn’t help it the characters are so similar). The book clearly is so much better.
The book was a lot of fun. I’m start to become rather fond of the series. The characters are really enjoyable (Tyson was my favorite for this one), and the plot was once again filled with action. The morals for kids to live by are, as usual, very prominent in the story, and of course a number of mythological monsters made their appearances (I am so glad I read Odysseus!)
The book ended on a bit of cliffhanger, so of course I’m tempted to read the next book. I’m really curious about what happens next, so I will pick up The Titan’s Curse as soon as possible.
My favorite quote from this book:
“Um, Tyson?” I said. “Would you mind scouting around outside? Like, look for a wilderness convenience store or something?”
“Convenience store?”
“Yeah, for snacks. Powdered donuts or something. Just don’t go too far.”
“Powdered donuts,” Tyson said earnestly. “I will look for powdered donuts in the wilderness.” He headed outside and started calling, “Here, donuts!”


Heh-heh. Priceless.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment