Monday, October 20, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Happy Monday everyone!  Well, happy for most people; my husband is off to work with a pulled-out back.  To top it off, he's teaching a yoga class today, poor baby!

This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey, where we get to recap on everything from last week and our plans for this week!



So last week was incredibly stressful but also lots of fun!  Every once in while, my family and I get asked to do a dance performance.  A month ago, we were asked to perform by a favorite of ours: Daniel Salazar and his orchestra of talented international musicians.

In case you're wondering, that's my mom, not me...

Daniel Salazar is a wonderful classical guitarist, and his small orchestra consists of musicians from around the world.  Every year he does a performance at Saint Joseph's College in West Hartford, CT, where he plays numerous Latin songs.  This year it was called "Noche Latina", and we were asked to dance 4 of their songs.  Of course we said yes!

I danced 3 numbers with my brother, Nate Evans, and my Mom danced 2 numbers with talented salsa dancer and friend, Armando Guzman.  It took a lot of preparation and last-minute changes (my brother and I literally had to re-choreograph a segment 2 hours before the dress rehearsal on the day of the performance) but it was loads of fun, and, according to my students who came to watch, it looked really great.  I unfortunately don't have any photos or videos yet, but as soon as I get them I'll post them!

So the numerous rehearsals put a bit of a damper on my reading, but since I'm doing a team challenge on Shelfari's Play Book Tag group, I was still able to get a lot done.

The challenge is called the Back-To-School Challenge.  Participants are divided into teams, and each team starts in their "freshman year" of high school.  In order to complete the school year, they must read books that fulfill school subjects (ie, English, History, Math, Foreign Language).  Each subject is worth a certain number of credits, and the team must reach a total of 12 credits in order to move on to the next year.  Once they finish senior year, the team needs to collectively read a "Capstone" book in order to graduate.  The first team to graduate wins!

Here's the link: Play Book Tag Back-To-School Challenge (I'm Spirolim, in case you're wondering)
Here's the link to the book group in general: Play Book Tag

I'm happy to say that my team has reached the capstone book and we might get second place!

So here are the books I read for the team challenge:
The War of the Worlds

1. (From last week)  War Of The Worlds, by H.G. Wells
Freshman Year, English (British Literature), 3 credits
An Abundance of Katherines






2. An Abundance Of Katherines, by John Green
Sophomore Year, Mathematics, 4 credits

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)






3. The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan
Junior Year, Foreign Language (Greek), 2 credits




The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)


4. Sea Of Monsters, by Rick Riordan
Senior Year, English (Greek Mythology), 3 credits





Aaannd Here's the Capstone that we're working on (it had to be tagged Futuristic, with a 4.5 star rating or higher on Shelfari or Amazon):





So once this challenge is over, I have other book plans!  Here are the other books I'm working on or planning on reading next:

Almost done with this one!

 
After 15 years of waiting, I will finally see the conclusion of this series!

 
I admit, after resisting these books for so long, the series is growing on me

 
Looking forward to this conclusion!

 
It's finally out! As soon as I saw it at the bookstore, I just had to grab a copy!


And of course I've posting other things on this blog, and here they are!



Remembering Wishbone
What's the story, Wishbone?!  A post about one of my favorite dogs ever!





The Bookish Seven Deadly Sins
A re-posting of something I did earlier





All right, so that's all I've got!  I've got to go read now!  Happy reading!
-Lisa The Dancing Bookworm

1 comment:

  1. Ooh nice! Those are some new to me ones! I remember Wishbone! Loved that dog! I used to have a stuffed animal version of him, but he might have been donated some years ago!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete