Sunday, November 9, 2014

Book Review: Castaways Of The Flying Dutchman, by Brian Jacques

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Castaways Of The Flying Dutchman, by Brian Jacques
★★★ and 1/2

Synopsis: A boy and dog trapped aboard the legendary ship, the Flying Dutchman, are sent off on an eternal journey by an avenging angel, roaming the earth throughout the centuries in search of those in need. Their travels lead them to Chapelvale, a sleepy nineteenth century village whose very existence is at stake. Only by discovering the buried secrets and solving the dust-laden riddles of the ancient village can it be saved. This will take the will and wile of all the people-and a very special boy and dog!
In A Sentence: A fun read that's great for kids to enjoy.
What I Liked: This was a reread for me. The first time was way back when I was twelve and I loved it. Now as an adult I was still able to enjoy it, but not as much. I thought the main characters were really likeable, and I thought the plot was very fun with a feel-good ending.
What Was...Meh: I thought the treasure hunt was a little unbelievable as an adult. Why hide the deeds and titles for your land for four hundred years and make the clues and hunt so complicated, that your descendents can't find them? It just seemed a little unnecessary. Plus the translation of a clue from Latin to English rhymed, which bugged me a bit
In A Nutshell: This is a decent read. It's a warm, feel-good story that's great for kids ages 10-14. But it doesn't work so well for adults. I enjoyed it, and it made me feel nostalgic, but that was it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment