Sunday, November 9, 2014

Book Review: Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Enter Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, the result of decades of genetic experimentation.
Is Ender the general Earth so desperately needs? The only way to find out is to throw him into ever-harsher training at Battle School, to chip away and find the diamond inside, or destroy him utterly. Ender Wiggin is six years old when his training begins. He will grow up fast.
But Ender is not the only result of the experiment. His two older siblings, Peter and Valentine, are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Among the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.
In A Sentence: A amazing story that is now permanently on my Favorites list!

Why This Book Is Awesome: This book is brilliant! It's complex, wonderfully written, with characters you can like and a plot that keeps you interested. This is the second time I've read this book and I still think it's an amazing read, with it's incredible war game strategies and original concept. The ending was also very well done (I certainly was surprised the first time I read it, and I thought it was brilliant, so I won't spoil it for you). It's fantastic, well-thought-out science fiction and one of Orson Scott Card's best works.
Could Some People Not Like This Read? Maybe. Perhaps some people might find the plot not fast-paced enough. Perhaps others might find the use of very young children (they started them at age 6) a little unbelievable. Others might have found the ending a little abrupt. I personally thought everything worked for the story, and the stuff that I at first thought didn't work, I ended up accepting after some thought.
Read This Book! You Won't Regret It! I've read somewhere that some military professionals are required to read this book, and for good reason. This is a very, very good read. When you finish, I guarantee that you'll think something along the lines of "wow. This was a very good book." Even if you are not a science fiction fan, I would still recommend this book. So I will say this again in capital letters: READ. THIS. BOOK.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment