Sunday, November 9, 2014

Book Review: The Falcon At The Portal (Amelia Peabody #11), by Elizabeth Peters

The Falcon at the Portal( Amelia Peabody, #11)The Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Falcon At The Portal, by Elizabeth Peters
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ and a ♥

Synopsis: Amelia and family have arrived in Egypt for the 1911 archeological season---after the marriage of young Ramses' best friend David to Amelia's niece Lia. But trouble finds them immediately when David is accused of selling ancient artifacts. While Amelia and company try to clear his name and expose the real culprit, the body of an American is found at the bottom of their excavation shaft. As accusations of drug dealing and moral misconduct fly, a child of mysterious antecedents sparks a crisis that threatens to tear the family apart. Amelia brings her brilliant powers of deduction to bear, but someone is shooting bullets at her---and coming awfully close!
In A Sentence: One of my favorite stories about Ramses, but also one of the most frustrating ones.

My Thoughts: Okay, so previously I had mentioned that this book was one of my favorites regarding Ramses and his adventures, and it still is, but this is also the book that shows the darkest and most frustrating point in the Emerson family history, so I can’t help but be a little aggravated with this story. In this book, we see more of the softer, gentler side of Ramses, the side that he hides from everyone, but then we also have to see him suffer a great deal. I won’t spoil it for those who might eventually read this book, but there’s a point in the book where you say, “FINALLY! Hallelujah!” but then that gets ruined when Sennia arrives, and a chapter later you are shouting in exasperation, “ARRGGGHH! DARN IT!” (and yes, I admit I do shout these things out loud sometimes as I’m reading/listening). I swear, this story feels a bit a like those TV dramas, where they give you about five minutes of joy because the thing you wanted most to happen has finally happened, then they take it all away almost immediately with a new dramatic twist and the process starts all over again. This sounds a bit cliché, I know, but it also goes to prove that you do end up falling in love with these characters, that you want to read more about them and what happens to them, and that you want them to have a happily ever after. These books have been among my favorites for about a decade now, and with good reason. They’re my idea of good chick lit, although technically it’s not really chick lit, just a fun adventure/mystery with a splash of romance.
As I have said about a dozen times already, I strongly recommend these books. If you like Victorian Era novels, or if you are one of those people who could watch Indiana Jones over and over again, I would say to you that you should try this series. Who knows, maybe this will become your new favorite series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment