Sunday, November 9, 2014

Book Review: The Fellowship Of The Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths were searching for a hobbit. Frodo Baggins knew they were seeking him and the Ring he bore--the Ring of Power that would enable evil Sauron to destroy all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it was up to Frodo and his faithful servant Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it could be destroyed--Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom of Mordor.
In A Sentence: couldn't help myself, but I had to read this favorite of mine again.

I Couldn't Resist: So I was listening to an audio-lecture on Ancient Rome and started getting bored with it (too much stuff packed into one lecture), so I went to my favorite stand-by, Rings, Swords, And Monsters, with Professor Michael D.C. Drout. It's an audio-lecture discussing fantasy literature, and Drout does an excellent job discussing J.R.R. Tolkien and his works. This is the third time I'm listening to this lecture, and every time I listen to it, I want to read the Lord of the Rings books. So of course I had to read the Fellowship again!
Always A Great Read! These books are fantastic. J.R.R. Tolkien has a great way with words. He comes up with such wonderful, memorable phrases. One example: "One Ring To Rule Them All, One Ring To Find Them, One Ring To Bring Them All, And In The Darkness Bind Them. In The Land Of Mordor Where The Shadows Lie"-- a line so memorable that I didn't even need to refer to the book to write this down. His stuff is so subtly good, that you don't realize it until you compare it to some other fantasy work.
What Else Can I Say? This book has become one of my go-to books when I need to something to read. I love reading it. If you haven't read it yet, I would strongly recommend it.
Try The Audio-Lecture! The lecture is really interesting and it's available on Audible if you want! It's from Recorded Books The Modern Scholar and it's called Rings, Swords, And Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature. The professor is Michael D.C. Drout, and he does an excellent job in describing various fantasy novels. His lectures on the life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his novels are especially fascinating, and I think they are even available separately from the rest of the lectures if you're interested in only Tolkien and his works.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment