Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: Dealing With Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1), by Patricia C. Wrede

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dealing With Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1), by Patricia C. Wrede
★★★★ (rounding up to 4.5)

Synopsis: Cimorene is a princess, but she is definitely not what you would call an ordinary princess. Cimorene is nothing that a princess is supposed to be. She is very tall, very tomboyish, and VERY independent. The rule is that she must marry a prince. A prince that she decides she doesn't like from the very first. Prince Therandill. Cimorene decides to run away and find the life she has always wanted. She ends up living with dragons and having wonderful adventures. Be sure not to miss this wonderful, fun, and exciting book!
In A Sentence: A very fun read for kids and adults alike!

My Thoughts: I loved this book back when I was a kid; it was my favorite read before Harry Potter. Now that I’m all grown up, I’ve found that I can still enjoy it immensely. It’s one of those books that you can’t help but love, even as an adult. There’s something about fairy tale retellings that bring out your inner child; every time you recognize a fairy tale reference, a silly little grin automatically spreads across your face, and your inner cheering squad does a couple of cartwheels. It’s all in good fun, and it’s all about the creativity and the author’s imagination.
One thing I really appreciated about this book was the fact that not only does it have a strong female lead, but the story is all about choosing your own path and not doing something simply because people tell you that’s how it’s supposed to be. It’s one of those books that tell children to accept themselves for who they are, and to play to their own personal strengths. I love stories with these types of morals. We adults might have seen enough of them, but it’s important to remind kids to just be themselves, and this book does a beautiful job of teaching that philosophy.
Would I recommend this read? Absolutely! Sure the writing is meant for children, and the characters are rather flat and predictable, but it’s very light-hearted and quick, with snippets of humor here and there. All in all, it’s a fun read that you won’t regret. I think adults would love this book just as much as the kids would; I know I did.
I should mention that I listened to this on audiobook and I absolutely loved it. Whoever does the voice of Alianora did a brilliant job with her role. Overall, the book makes for a very entertaining listen, so try listening rather than reading the printed version.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment