Monday, December 15, 2014

Book Review: Talking To Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #4), by Patricia C. Wrede

Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Talking To Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede
★★★ ½

Synopsis: Daystar has never seen his mother, Cimorene, actually perform magic. Nor has he ever known her to enter the Enchanted Forest in all the years they have lived on its edge. That is not until a wizard shows up at their cottage shortly after Daystar's sixteenth birthday. Much to Daystar's surprise, Cimorene melts the unsavory fellow. And the following day, she comes out of the Enchanted Forest carrying a sword. With that and little else, she sends him off into adventure. Daystar doesn't know what he is supposed to do with the magic sword, but knowing Cimorene, he's sure it must involve a dragon or two!
In A Sentence: A decent conclusion to a fun series, but the previous books were better.

My Thoughts: I only read this once before when I was a kid, so I only remembered the very beginning and ending, but I did enjoy the book more this time around. The story had its fun points, and the plot was original and creative. The characters were fun too. For some reason, I didn’t like Daystar the last time I read this, but I liked him better this time around. The ending was nice too, but I would definitely say that the previous books were better and that this one felt a little disjointed from the rest. I think it’s partially because the narration was in the first person this time around, and because the magic around the sword acted differently than from previous reads. I think someone else in one of my book groups explained that this story was written first, which explains the disjointedness. It also doesn’t help that this final book takes place 16 years after the previous books, so we end up focusing on a new generation of characters.
I would still recommend this read, however. The conclusion to this series is pretty satisfactory and it makes for light, quick reading. Great for kids and adults alike.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment