Saturday, January 31, 2015

Book Review: Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson

Snow CrashSnow Crash by Neal Stephenson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
★★★

Synopsis: In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosaNostra Pizza, Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately.
In A Sentence: An okay read with an overwhelming amount of information.

My Thoughts: This took a long time to get through because of the amount of information that was poured into the story. I was strongly reminded of the book The Historian: a lot of interesting information, but maybe a little too much for the story itself. I felt like the middle part of the book slowed down quite a bit while the author dumped a whole lot of information at you. The plot felt extremely complicated, and in some places, a little too complex. Plus, there wasn’t quite so much character development as I normally prefer: for a story that revolved around a 3-D Metaverse, the characters were rather two-dimensional.
With that being said, this sci-fi story is still pretty creative and original. The concept behind the computer virus was really interesting, as was the history and the theory he provided. I’m not saying that I think his theory was true, but for the storyline, it made a reasonable amount of sense. I also thought Y.T.’s job sounded like a lot of fun!
Would I recommend this? Eh, mebbe. I mean, sci-fi fans would get a kick out this story, and computer geeks might find this very interesting. Alas, I’m more of a fantasy fan. So, overall it was enjoyable but not awesome from my POV.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment