Sunday, March 8, 2015

Book Review: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Year 7), by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Year 7), by J.K. Rowling
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: (From the book flap of the U.S. 1st edition) We now the seventh and final installment in the epic tale of Harry Potter (I found this sooo aggravating when I first read this!)
In A Sentence: Officially my favorite of the entire series

My Thoughts: I admit it, I still cry a little when I read this one. I spent the majority of my adolescence reading Harry Potter, getting to know him and his friends, learning to love every single bit of the wizarding world. So when this book finally came out, it felt like the end of some of the best times of my life. I grew up with Harry Potter, so to see him go through the most trying year of his life felt incredibly real to me (which I’m sure other Potter fans felt as well). That is J.K. Rowling’s talent; she created a world and its people so completely that we feel like it’s a real place that we can reach out and touch if we wanted to. In a way, to me, Harry Potter is real, so every loss he encountered felt like a real loss, and I frequently end up crying because the people who died feel like friends I hadn’t seen in a while and would never see again. Despite the fact that I’ve re-read this book at least a half-dozen times, I still tear up at the critical points. The writing is that well done.
I remember when I first read this story. My tradition is to re-read the entire series before I read the new release, so I went through all six books again before reading The Deathly Hallows. However, because I was so busy working at my summer job, I couldn’t read the final installment until about a week after it had been released (an absolute torture, believe you me). The minute I finished book number 6, I immediately picked up The Deathly Hallows. I didn’t care that it was 10 o’clock at night and that I had to go to work the next day, I just wanted to know what happened to all my friends! I ended up staying up the entire night reading the book, only stopping to take a quick nap when the words started to blur together. By the time I went to work, only the epilogue was left for me to read, which of course I read during my first available break.
I can’t read the book in twelve hours anymore, but I still can’t wait for the moment when I can go back into my car and listen to it some more. I might know everything that’s going to happen, but I still want to read it and re-live again. The plot is perfectly paced, the writing so well-done that everything feels like it’s really happening. The characters are so well-developed they feel like real people; they are complete with unique flaws and recognizable traits. And the world-building! It makes me want to go to that Harry Potter Theme Park, just so I can have something of this world to touch! Pottermore isn’t enough; I want to be able to explore some of these places that Rowling keeps describing! Along with other Harry Potter fans, I keep hoping for just one more book to come out, just one more story so we can see more of Potter’s world.
Harry Potter will always have a special place in my heart. I’m glad I read the series again, and I will definitely continue my tradition of reading Harry Potter once a year. But for now, I am content. All is well. Finite Incantatum.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment