Monday, February 29, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

*Yawn* Happy Monday everyone.


I confess, I'm watching the news and I can't keep my eyes open, or stop yawning!  I blame my cat.  She decided 6 a.m. was a good time to get up, and kept pushing at my head until I sat up.  Ugh.

Another ugh, too.  I didn't complete my reading goal for last week.  I only finished one book.

What I Read Last Week:


I swear there was a good reason not to read.  This past week I achieved an important goal: I closed 2 credit cards!



Let this be a lesson to everyone else who lets a good credit score get to their heads.  The past few years I've been a little stupid about credit cards and got myself into an incredible amount of credit debt.  Well, maybe not incredible, but it was a lot, approaching 5 digits.  I almost drowned in debt, and my score dropped a few dozen points.  So a few months back, I took control of my finances, created a strict budget, and gradually started chipping away at that debt.  And a couple of days ago, I was able to close out 2 cards, with only 2 cards remaining, and a total credit debt of $2000!  Give me another month, maybe two at most, and I'll be completely debt free!  Whoohoo!

There's a reason for the fanatical budgeting.  A big reason.  My husband and I are hoping to purchase our very first home by the end of this year. (Ahhhhhh!)

I've got houses on my brain, people!  I really want to buy some real estate!  I'm sick and tired of living in an apartment, I'm ready for the next stage in our lives.  And we definitely want a house, not a condo.

Which brings me to what I'm currently reading:


Yep, I went out and got a book about buying a house.  Admittedly, I've been perusing this book briefly for the past several months each time I shopped at Barnes&Noble.  I'd read a segment, put it down, walk away, but I would keet coming back to it.  It was because of this book (and others) that I started whittling down my debt, and now I'm reading it front to back in preparation for house shopping this fall.

I confess, I'm a little nervous.  I'm afraid we won't get pre-approved for as much as we'd like (being a self-employed teacher might make this a little difficult).  I'm worried that we won't have enough saved up when we're actually ready to buy.  I'm wondering what we're going to do when our apartment lease expires.  There's a lot to consider, and there's a lot of preparation involved.  I just hope we don't screw up!

Anyway, I do hope to get some more reading this week.  Besides the real estate read, I have a few other books on my list for this week.  And here they are:


My Reading Plans:

Well, that's it for me folks.  I gotta go read about buying houses now.  Toodles!
-Lisa The Dancing Bookworm

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear you are doing well with your finances.

    Best of luck looking for a house.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! These are new to me reads in some sense! Hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolat is one of my all time favorite movies but I have to admit that I never read the book. I didn't even know there was a book! I wonder how the two compare. Thanks for sharing!
    Laura :)
    My Monday Post

    ReplyDelete