Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Book Review: Proven Guilty (Dresden Files #8), by Jim Butcher



Genre: Urban fantasy
Date Published: 2006
Publisher: Roc
# Of Pages/Listening Time: 479 pgs/16 hours 16 minutes

Goodreads | Audible

Synopsis: There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob....

My Rating:
 ★★★★ 1/2
....for being entertaining as usual

My Thoughts:
This was a re-read.  I felt the urge to read this series again, especially since I haven't read the latest installments.  And, since I've already read this before, I already knew I was going to have fun with this one.
The books are full of humor and exciting scenarios, but it seems with each novel that they get progressively more serious.  This was definitely one of the more serious ones.  Especially towards the end.  However, it is still one that I found immensely entertaining.
I think my favorite character is Mouse.  He doesn't talk, but he's still such a great dog.  I later looked up his breed and, Good Lord he's gigantic!  If you've read this series before and have struggled to visualize what Mouse looks like, here he is:

...and no, this wasn't photoshopped.  The dog is literally this huge


Anyway, onward to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment