Monday, September 3, 2018

Happy September! A Monthly Recap And My Upcoming Plans

Woohoo September! Two and a half months to go before Jack arrives!


Life Recap

Yeah, so I've kind of reached the point in the pregnancy where I'd really like to be at the tail end of it.  I feel like a lumbering walrus (getting out of bed is now an absolute chore), and I can't do more than a couple hours of dancing at a time anymore, because my hips start to get tired and painful by the end of the day (posterior pelvic pain instead of back pain. Yay.)

I also had to do the dreaded glucose screen test.  Twice.

For those of you who are wondering what this test is, pregnant women have to do a blood test to check and see if they have gestational diabetes.  You have to avoid eating foods with sugar (fruit, bread, etc.) right before the test.  And then you have to drink this disgustingly super sugary drink that they give you, wait in their waiting room for an hour without eating or drinking anything, then get your blood drawn.

If there is high content of sugar in your blood, then you have to go back at a later date for a 3-hour test.  This one is essentially the same (sugary drink, don't eat or drink anything while you're in the waiting room, etc), but now you're supposed to fast beforehand, and you have to get your blood drawn 4 times instead of just the one.

Cat and hubby working on the garden together :)
So of course there was sugar in my blood the first time around, so I had to do the 3-hour test as well.  Pregnancy and fasting really don't mix; I was super cranky and hungry by the end of it all, and extremely eager to pig out with a lot of food.  It was definitely a good day to satisfy my craving for doughnuts!

(By the way, I went through all of that testing only to rediscover what I already knew: I don't have gestational diabetes, or any other issues that would make this a high-risk pregnancy)

In other news, I've been using my gym membership and going to the pool on a fairly regular basis, although I've been also taking advantage of the cooler sunny days to go for short walks around the neighborhood (please, please, please! No more heat waves!)  I'm also doing prenatal yoga at the hospital, so my exercise routine has become rather diverse.

Honestly, despite my complaining, I'm feeling pretty proud of the fact that my pregnancy is so normal and healthy.  It's a huge difference from my first pregnancy (it's been a year since I miscarried, can you believe it?!) and despite the occasional pains, I honestly feel fine.  I'm feeling fat and heavy, of course, but otherwise normal, which makes it extremely amusing when I start getting all energetic during my group classes.  Every once in a while, one of my students will freak out and think I'm doing too much (I've noticed it's mostly men who think that way).  What they forget is that I was already pretty active before I got pregnant, and that I spent over two decades of my life dancing.  My sense of balance is excellent, and I feel fine.  I move when I feel energetic, and I rest when I feel I need to.  And despite the nagging trepidation that I have in the back of my mind about the actual giving birth part and then becoming a mom for the rest of my life, I'm feeling pretty relaxed with this pregnancy.

In other news, I got to hang out with my best friend for the first time in months.  Yay!  She has two little boys, so scheduling a get-together is always super tricky, but we always have a blast when we manage it.  This time around, it was a simple hang-out-at-the-mall-then-eat-a-burger sort of hang-out.  It was lovely; we window-shopped, ate delicious burgers, and spent all that time chit-chatting about everything going on in our lives, and how insanely different my life is going to be in a few months.  Good times, good times.


Reading Recap
Well, I didn't achieve the 10-book goal I had for myself this month (I blame Main Street: it took me all month to read it), but I did manage 8 reads so I'm happy.
Here are all the books I read this month:


Title: Eragon (Inheritance #1)
Author: Christopher Paolini
Date Finished: August 6
My Rating: ★★★★★
Quick Review: A fun YA epic read

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: The Girl With Dragon Tattoo (Millennium #1)
Author: Stieg Larsson
Date Finished: August 8
My Rating: ★★★★
Quick Review: Loved re-reading this one again!

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2)
Author: Stieg Larsson
Date Finished: August 10
My Rating: ★★★★
Quick Review: The exciting sequel in one of my favorite trilogies!

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest (Millennium #3)
Author: Stieg Larsson
Date Finished: August 14
My Rating: ★★★★
Quick Review: The courtroom scene at the end....awesome!

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: Into The Water
Author: Paula Hawkins
Date Finished: August 16
My Rating: ★★★
Quick Review: Not bad, but a few too many characters and backstories to keep track of

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: Eldest (Inheritance #2)
Author: Christopher Paolini
Date Finished: August 23
My Rating: 
Quick Review: A good continuation of an epic fantasy story

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: Main Street
Author: Sinclair Lewis
Date Finished: August 27
My Rating: 
Quick Review: A good classic, but I had trouble getting into it.

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible



Title: Brisingr (Inheritance #3)
Author: Christopher Paolini
Date Finished: August 31
My Rating: ★ 1/2
Quick Review: Another good installment in a great YA fantasy series

Full Review | Goodreads | Audible


Blog Recap
Finally wrote about my favorite classic!
Well, I managed to post more than just book reviews and semi-monthly recaps this time around.  Yay!  I wrote a post about how I'm doing a year after having a miscarriage (I felt I should mark the 1-year anniversary somehow, and speaking up about it again seemed appropriate).  I also finally wrote a Favorite Spotlight post for the first time in years.
For those of you who are wondering what that is, years ago when I first started this blog, I tried to do several blog memes to make my blog as interesting as possible.  I made what I called a "Favorite Spotlight" meme where I wrote a post discussing a favorite book or book series.  It was a really good idea (all of my meme ideas were good), but I took on too much at and couldn't keep up (let's face it, my life is too busy for me to spend hours writing multiple blog posts).
Now that my blogging goals are considerably more reasonable and achievable, I've decided to try revamping the Favorite Spotlight meme, but making it a monthly meme rather than a weekly meme.  So far, this seems to be working!

Here are the links to the posts I wrote:

Favorite Spotlight: Pride And Prejudice, by Jane Austen
One-Year Anniversary Of My Miscarriage


Reading Goals
Library overseer keeping watch over the books
Okay, so goals for reading this month.  I think 8 books is a happy number, so I'm going to try and do 8 again this month.  I'm feeling like doing some BOTM's (Books Of The Month) for various book clubs, and maybe a couple of re-reads for fun.

I also really want to read Les Miserables.  It's been on my reading list for ages, but I never tried it because reading it would be such a huge commitment.  So, instead of trying to read the whole thing all at once, I'm going to try and read only one section at a time.  There are 5 sections that make up this whole book: "Fantine", "Cosette", "Marius", "St. Denis", and "Jean Valjean".  I'm planning on only one section a month, so I only have to read a few pages a day.

So here's the loose plan for this month (titles marked with a ☊ means I plan on listening to it on audiobook):


BOTM's
A Gentleman In Moscow, by Amor Towles (currently reading)
The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, by Neil Gaiman ☊
A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman
Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate

For Fun
Inheritance (Inheritance #4), by Christopher Paolini ☊ (currently reading)
Bag Of Bones, by Stephen King
The Bear And The Nightingale (currently reading)

Long Term Project
Les Miserables (currently reading volume I "Fantine")

Okay, I'm done blogging now.  I have the rest of the morning and afternoon off, so I'm going to go read :)

Happy reading everyone!
-Lisa The Dancing Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment