Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Hump Day! The Blogging Continues

Hey y'all!

I'm trying to get back into the habit by blogging everyday.  Even if I don't have a whole lot to say, I'm still going to blog about something.

Well the snow day was rather nice.  I read a little, watched the TV show Goliath on Amazon Prime with my husband, and shoveled piles of snow off our driveway.  Our neighbors (they're so nice!) came over in turns to help us clear our driveway with their snowblowers, so I baked some chocolate chip cookies to give them as a thank you.  God, I love being a homeowner with actual neighbors!

Dave and I have this tradition when there's a blizzard.  We make homemade burgers with awesome fixings and call them "Blizzard Burgers"!  Last night, we tried ground bison meat for our burgers, and topped them with caramelized onions, grilled mushrooms, and bacon.  Blizzard Bison Burgers= Snow Day Heaven!

Today is going to be a busy day.  Dave and I both have to go back to work, and I have to get some more reading done; my book club meetings are next week!  Ack!

So far:

With The Snow Child, I am exactly halfway done!  Here's a couple of sentences from the beginning of the next chapter:
"That summer was a farmer's blessing.  Even Jack could see that.  At perfect intervals the skies rained and the sun shone.  Of his own accord, Garrett planted rows of vegetables to supply the railroad, and the plants flourished in the fields."

I really love the writing in this book.  It's so beautiful and sad, perfectly matching the storyline.  I'm really looking forward to discussing this book on Tuesday.

As for Ragtime, I'm only 40% done, but it's a shorter book so I'll be able to catch up easily during my break later today.  Here's a couple sentences from the start of the next chapter:
"Of course at this time in our history the images of ancient Egypt were stamped on everyone's mind.  This was due to the discoveries being reported out of the desert by British and American archaeologists.  After the football players in their padded canvas knee pants and leather helmets, archaeologists were the glamour personages of the universities."
Yeah, I know, the writing seems a little dull, but I'm telling you, it works with this kind of storytelling.  I'm enjoying the flow of this story.  It's unusual, but interesting.  This too will make for a great book club discussion.

Well, that's it for now.  I'm going to go clean out the dust on my bookshelves on Goodreads.  Ta-ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment